Licensing, Science/Research, Technology Transfer and Commercialization
Toward the ambition of accelerating drug discovery, the Novartis Institutes for BioMedical Research creates a new leadership role leading External Innovation. Reporting to the Chief Administrative Officer, the Head External Innovation will operate across the global NIBR research and development organization to effect strategy and implement programs for extending NIBR into the external research environment.
Working closely with the CAO and NIBR scientific leadership, he or she will help to structure and direct the NIBR Open Framework. The Head will work to establish and maintain NIBR’s reputation with academia as the pre-eminent partner for the science of therapeutics. The Head will maintain a strong interface with the entire R&D organization to facilitate and supplement the internal innovation channels and to further grow the external-facing activities of all functions.
Key responsibilities will include:
• With the President of NIBR and the CAO, responsible for External Innovation strategy development and communication to key stakeholders inside and external to Novartis.
• Responsible for positioning NIBR with academic institutions as partner of choice for biomedical research and translational sciences.
• Responsible for managing relationships with technology transfer offices across portfolio.
• He or she will also lead the prioritization process for external-facing initiatives with the senior scientific leaders of the Institute as well as other key scientific reviews.
• Leadership of the Open Framework initiative and its implementation, the NIBR post-doc program, management of grants and donations, the CELL lab, the Genesis Labs program and the NIBR Scholars programs.
• Overseeing the management and execution of NIBR’s external research partnerships to best support the scientific mission.
• Managing post-agreement academic relationships, including resolution of conflicts
• Interfacing with senior leaders within NIBR to align group with key Institutes-wide initiatives and programs
• Continue to grow and develop the NIBR Genesis Labs program, extending its reach beyond the internal innovation sphere and to include other Novartis divisions and external channels.
• Interfacing with other NIBR functions such as Strategic Alliances, General Legal and Patents, Finance, Scientific Operations, Project & Portfolio Management and Procurement within Novartis Business Services to ensure strategic alignment on NIBR’s external presence.
• Managing and developing a global team with varying backgrounds (scientific business development and operational professionals).
• Continuously evaluate and optimize contract implementation processes in alignment with the latest organizational requirements.
• Direct reports include the leaders of the following areas/programs: Operational Alliances, Academic Outreach, CELL Lab, Genesis Labs Program, Post-Doc Program, Grants Program, NIBR Scholars
Education: An advanced scientific degree is required: MD, MS or PhD
Experience: A strong scientific leader, the Head External Innovation will combine technical training with experience relevant to industry/academic relationships in an academic setting. Preferably, he or she will have experience from a university technology transfer office.
Demonstrated ability to lead and influence within a global matrixed organization.
The successful candidate:
• will have at least 5 years of experience and a track record for successfully leading high-performing teams in complex, dynamic and fast paced environments. • will have experience in working through complex contractual matters (e.g. contractual terms, intellectual property, etc.) to find win-win solutions as well managing agreements with multiple stakeholders.
• Is a strong project/program manager with a courageous, innovative and pragmatic approach, used to developing and leading complex change programs that deliver successful high-quality outcomes.
• will have experience building durable, sustainable networks within an organization and be a proven advocate for simplicity, urgency and creative problem-solving.
• will have a level of executive presence required to interact with senior leaders at NIBR, at Novartis and in academia.
• will have superior leadership experience including excellent communication, collaboration/consensus building, influencing and negotiation skills.
• will demonstrate an ability to successfully work globally and effectuate change within a high-performing organization.
• will be able to travel domestic and international as necessary.
Employer will assist with relocation costs.
Additional Salary Information: commensurate with experience
The Novartis Institutes for BioMedical Research (NIBR) is the innovation engine of Novartis. We collaborate across scientific and organizational boundaries, with a focus on powerful new technologies that have the potential to help produce therapeutic breakthroughs for patients. The research institutes of the NIBR network are located across the globe to gain access to the world's best scientific t...alent. This network of institutes maintains a highly collaborative culture that encourages teams and individuals to work across institutional and geographic boundaries.